Session: The Chisel
Central Theme: Transformation of our Lives
We can be transformed by cooperating with God’s plan for renewing our minds.
- Have you ever seen a picture of yourself and were surprised at how you looked (and not a good surprise)?
- There is such a desire that we have to be different than we are in some ways.
- I love watching before and after shows.
- Here in Texas you have Magnolia Silos and Fixer Upper…
- My wife loves that show…
- What is amazing about those shows is the salty and the sweet—the problem and the solution—what is broken and needing change and the end result.
- We’ve been studying this passage of scripture…
(1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
(2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
You may have been here for the past two sessions and been thinking…
- Ben, I’m with you on this idea that it’s logical, reasonable and right that in light of all that God has done, and that He deserves, and all that he desires for me I ought to live a life of sacrifice for him. I get it.
- And I get that there are patterns of this world that I ought not to follow.
- But I just don’t know how!
- What I want to do, I don’t do, and what I don’t want to do is what I end up doing…
- I want to be transformed…I really do…but how?!
This verse gives us the answers…
And where in the first two sessions I was trying to convince you why you ought to live differently, in this last session I want to tell you how you can be transformed…
- The process of transformation that God prescribes is what he calls in this verse “the renewal of our minds”.
- Renewing our minds involves 2 steps…just like remodeling. Taking out the old and putting on the new.
How does God renew our minds?
- Renewing our Mind by God’s Indwelling.
(3) I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, (4) Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, (5) For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; (6) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
- Transformation is something that God does!
- We can’t just manufacture it ourselves.
- This is something that God wants to do in us.
- Renewing our Mind through God’s Word.
(8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
How do we know what is true, noble, right and pure….?
We know it by knowing the Word of God.
(16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
(11) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
So here is how that works…
We must identify the lies that we are believing by letting the truth of the word of God change how we think about those lies. Let me give you some examples:
Consequence of sin
○ Lie: There are no consequences to sin.
○ Verse: James 1:15-16.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.
○ Truth: Whenever there is a sin there is a death.
○ We don’t think we can forgive, and we don’t think they deserve it. We think we’re letting them off the hook or that we think that what they did is ok.
○ Verse: Ephesians 4:32.
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
○ Truth: We can forgive and we should forgive because we’ve been forgiven.
○ Lie: We think we’re something, and that we are more important than others.
○ Verse: Jeremiah 9:23
Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
○ Truth: The only thing I should boast in is Christ.
○ Lie: I should be angry because they deserve it. I should extract revenge because they owe me.
○ Verse: James 1:19-21
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
○ Truth: Your anger and wrath never accomplishes God’s will for your life or anyone else.
○ Lie: I can’t help what I say.
○ Verse: Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
○ Truth: I should let no unwholesome words come out of my mouth.
○ Lie: My deal is more important than your deal.
○ Verse: Philippians 3:2-4
3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
○ Truth: I must treat others as more important than myself.
○ Lie: “As soon as ________, then I’ll have peace”
○ Verse: Proverbs 30:8
8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:s9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.s
○ Truth: I should pray every day, “God give me what I can handle. No more, or no less.”
○ Lie: If I don’t agree with the rule, then I don’t have to keep it. If I don’t like the authority, I don’t have to keep the rule.
○ Verse: Romans 13:1-2
1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation
○ Truth: All authority in my life has been ordained by God. To disobey authority is to disobey God unless that authority is pushing me to disobey God’s Word.
○ Lie: Eveything I have I have because of me.
○ Verse: Colossians 1:16
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
○ Truth: Everything I have is a gift from God and has been given into my stewardship.
○ Lie: I can handle bad influences in my life.
○ Verse: Proverbs 13:20
20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed
○ Truth: The people you spend time with will influence the quality and direction of your life.
- Renewing our Mind through God’s People.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
How does transformation happen?
Transformation is most likely to happen when people encounter God’s truth, with the help of Godly leaders when they are in a teachable posture.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.