Christ’s Return: Session 6- The Great Tribulation
Session 6- The Great Tribulation- Matthew 24:1-28
Jesus described three different periods in the time of the tribulation in Matthew 24:1-28.
1. The Beginning of the tribulation. (v.4-14)
- Jesus describes “birth-pangs””. (v.8)
- What are they?
- False Teachers
- Natural Disasters
- Falling Away of False Believers
- Worldwide Preaching
- They correspond with the “Seal” Judgements.
- They seem to be “natural” disasters.
2. The Middle of the tribulation. (v.15)
- The “abomination” of “deolation” .
- The “Anti-Christ” betrays his covenant with Israel. (Daniel 9:27)
- He causes the sacrifice to cease. (Daniel 9:27)
- He sets up an image to be worshipped. (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4)
3. The End of the tribulation. (v.16-28)
- Inaugurated by the Abomination of Desolation.
- Called “the great” (V.21)
- The Response in that Day. V.16-20
- Run! (v.16)
- Immediate. (v.17-18)
- Difficult for Mothers. (v.19)
- Difficult in winter and on the sabbath. V.20
“This entire paragraph relates only to Jews, for no Christian believer would worry about breaking a Sabbath law.” – Warren Weirsbe
- Reject the Anti-Christ. (v.23-26).
- Culminated in the coming of the Son of Man. (v.27-28.)
- Seems to correspond with the trumpet judgments (Revelation 8:7-9:19), and the vial judgments (Revelation 16:2-21)
“During the first three-and-one-half years of the Tribulation, the judgments were natural: wars, famines, earthquakes, etc. But during the last half, the judgments will be supernatural and devastating.” Warren Weirsbe
- Evangelism. (2 Corinthians 5:11)
Topics: End Times, Tribulation